Saturday, August 24, 2013

What is happening Syria?



Why has this happened in Syria. I cannot understand.
I read news reports and I am told Syria is fighting itself. 
What they say is that Syria's Prime Minister has seemingly done things to harm his people and to provoke a war on his country. This doesn't make any sense to me. Who would kill off their own people's children. And who would want to have a war with the US? 

So if that is not the point then what is it? It makes no sense.

Some people say to me, "Oh, Assad is just insane." 

But that is too simple an excuse. 

We hear about all these bad men, Hussein, Il Jung, Gaddafi, now Assad as bad guy du jour, and I think, how is it possible so many Hitlers have gotten into power? Can it really be that black and white? Why would the leader of a country deliberately harm his own people, inviting outside intervention and his own possible downfall? It makes no sense.

Currently 7,000 Syrian children have died in this fight against no one. That's 14, 000 parents, 28, 000 Grandparents, countless cousins, uncles aunts, siblings, all suffering the loss. It isn't making anything better. 

And whoever did this must be smart enough to know that doing things like killing children hardens people to your cause. They must also know it makes people want to harm you in return. Surely no one thinking strategically would be this stupid. Surely someone who is elected president with 80% of the people behind them is not that stupid. Because that implies that 80% of  Syrians are stupid, which they aren't. 
So what is really going on here? 

Some people say this is the US. This of course, isn't the first time we have heard this whispered in times of war. Not too loudly of course, people are afraid of the United States.
It has been reported that two days before the attack Syria allowed chemical experts from the US to come in to the country. 
For what? 

Am I missing something else because I do not know the history? 
Is there something to be gained by both sides if there is war in Syria? 

Maybe I am naïve, maybe I should not even be asking questions such as these. But I need to understand it. And right now it makes no sense. Everyone says different things... 
I have not heard the same opinion twice about this. 

Another friend tells me it's about getting into Iran. 
So once again oil greed looms large. It seems most of our world's problems are about this one finite commodity. 

Aren't we smart enough by now to create a new fuel? Why can't we put the money spent on war into researching alternative options? 

Probably there is some economical reason I am not knowledgeable enough to understand regarding why we need to be in a war economy constantly. 

It would be short sighted to cry out saying one country is to blame for this mess. It's like one great terrifying chess game. And I guess the strategy behind all of this makes sense to some. I am just not one of them. Poisoning people's children just doesn't make sense to me any which way I look at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment